ROOT CANAL THERAPY
Root canal therapy is the treatment procedure performed to save or keep a tooth that has become decayed or badly infected. A “root canal” can be used to describe the space that is created naturally within the center of the tooth. The soft tissue within the root canal space is called the pulp or the nerve.
This pulp, or nerve, contains blood vessels, nerves, and tissue. If this was to become inflamed, or worse, infected, you may be a candidate for a root canal. To assess if you are in need of a root canal, Dr. Oyangen will either take a traditional x-ray or use our C.B.C.T. 3D scanner to examine the shape of the tooth canals and roots. Dr. Oyangen’s goal during the root canal therapy is to disinfect the canal and fill the area with an antibacterial material while maintaining as much tooth structure as possible.
If you have been experiencing 2 or more of the following symptoms, we would ask you to call our dental office in Schenectady NY for an appointment with Dr. Oyangen.
Root Canal Symptoms
- prolonged severe toothache
- Tooth sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures
- Swelling and pain in the gum area around tooth
- Pain when applying pressure
- Deep discoloring of the tooth that cannot be removed by routine brushing
- a tooth that has increased mobility
Advantages of Saving the Natural Tooth with Root Canal Treatment
- Aids in efficient chewing
- protects other teeth from excessive wear or strain
- Can give you a more natural appearance
- Retains normal biting force and sensation