If you are afraid of the dental office, it’s going to be ok. We are here to help you feel more comfortable, calm, and relaxed in the dental chair! In order to abolish your dental fears, we recommend doing the following things:
• Talk to your dentist about sedation dentistry. There are many dental sedatives available in the dental world today, including oral sedation, laughing gas, and IV sedation, and they can help you have a positive and successful dental experience. However, only qualified dentists can offer and provide IV sedation.
• Bring someone you know and trust to the appointment with you. If you do so, you will feel safer in the hands of the dentist because you have a familiar face right next to you throughout the entire appointment.
• Bring music with you. If you listen to music during your treatment, you might feel calmer and you will also focus more on the music than on the dentist. You can also watch television or have your friend or family member read a book to you or tell you stories.
• Establish a signal with the dentist. If you have a “stop” signal, like raising your hand or blinking your eyes three times, your dentist will know when you are uncomfortable and when to give you the breaks you need throughout your treatment.
• Use relaxation techniques. If you control your breathing by taking a deep breath, holding it for a couple seconds, and slowly letting it out, your heart rate will slow and you will feel more relaxed.
For more advice on treating your dental fears, call our office today and talk to a member of our dental team. We are happy to help you feel more comfortable and relaxed at our office!